Objectives of the Presentation
This webinar for HIPAA Covered Entities and Business Associates will cover:
Why Should you Attend
- A clear explanation of the simple 3 Step HIPAA Safe Harbor that protects covered entities and business associates acting on their behalf from liability related to patient engagement by unencrypted email and text messaging
- What makes an email or text message subject to HIPAA law
- A clear explanation of how HIPAA defines PHI - it's not just information about, for example, a diagnosis, disease, surgery or prescribed treatment
- How a 2015 Federal Communications Commission Order about health care text messages added to confusion and what it really means - the 3 Step HIPAA Safe Harbor is the only text message Safe Harbor for covered entities and business associates
- The interconnected liability of covered entities and business associates that provide unencrypted electronic patient engagement services like appointment reminders - and both can protect themselves
The HIPAA Rules for sending Protected Health Information (PHI) by unencrypted electronic transmission are clear and new. The first became effective with the HIPAA Omnibus Rule (September, 2013). Further, important guidance was published by the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services in 2014 and 2016.
There is a simple 3 step HIPAA "safe harbor" that frees covered entities and business associates from any responsibility or liability for unauthorized access to Protected Health Information (PHI) in unencrypted emails and text messages during transmission and after receipt by the patient.
There are widespread violations of the HIPAA Rules for communicating with patients by unencrypted email and text message - largely because providers and business associates just don't know the rules - and don't understand what PHI really is - as defined by HIPAA.
The HIPAA Rules and HHS/OCR guidance provide a simple, easy to use 3 Step Safe Harbor for using unencrypted email and text messaging to engage patients. This session will explain the 3 Step HIPAA Safe Harbor.
The secret is HIPAA Rules are easy to follow, step-by-step - when you know the steps.
Who will Benefit
- Hospital Trustees
- C-Suite Executives
- HIPAA Compliance Official
- HIPAA Privacy Officer
- HIPAA Security Officer
- Health Information Technology Supervisor
- Practice Manager
- Risk Manager
- Physical Therapist