Recent HIPAA changes in 2016: Are you in Compliance?
Duration: 90 Minutes
This live training session will address the major changes under the Omnibus Rule and any other applicable updates for 2016.
There are an enormous amount of issues and risks for covered entities and business associates under Omnibus, first and foremost being the Feds have an increased budget and enforcement abilities via utilizing outsourced auditing. The speaker will also describe the first-hand accounts of patients suing for wrongful disclosures and how we are all at risk based on live cases that he has worked on. In addition, he will be discussing resources for risk assessments as well as some very confusing aspects of HIPAA as he lays out what is myth versus reality, what constitutes a high risk and what isn't considered a high risk.
Objectives of the Presentation
Why Should you Attend
- Updates for 2016
- Fines under Omnibus
- How to avoid being low hanging fruit
- Information technology and HIPAA
- Texting/Emailing and HIPAA
- Risk factors for being audited under Omnibus
- What is involved with a federal audit - real life stories
- Patients and suing under HIPAA
- Social networking and HIPAA
- Personal responsibility for all staff members
Who can Benefit
- HIPAA Omnibus - Do you know what's involved and what you need to do?
- What does Omnibus mean for covered entities and business associates?
- Why should you be concerned?
- Court cases that are changing the landscape of HIPAA and patient's ability to sue to wrongful disclosures
- Practice managers
- Any business associates who work with medical practices or hospitals (i.e. billing companies, transcription companies, IT companies, answering services, home health, coders, attorneys, etc)
- MD's and other medical professionals