Included in the overview is a discussion of what constitutes a medical record, management of hard copy and electronic records, HIPAA/HITECH/Omnibus Rule considerations, storage and management of the medical record, management of the record in special circumstances, applicable time limits, and oversight of record destruction. As medical record storage, management, security requirements, and legal obligations change; and privacy concerns evolve and are enhanced by federal and state law and regulatory changes, the ability to manage records and be sensitive to the implications of the web of issues related to the same is something those involved in record oversight need to be familiar with moving forward.
Objectives of the Presentation
Why Should you Attend
- Develop a bulletproof retention plan to protect yourself from different record categories
- Identify records you should never destroy and what to do if they accidentally are
- Easy record classifications to quickly determine appropriate retention periods
- Specific questions to ask before eliminating any old patient or business records
- Plain-English breakdown of federal and state law retention and destruction guidelines
- Implement proper patient record procedures when closing or selling your practice
- And so much more…
Your old patient and business files could be ticking time bombs just waiting to go off and both paper and electronic files are equally dangerous. Accurately maintaining, storing and in some cases destroying these records is your only protection. The only way to protect yourself from legal and financial penalties is to establish and implement a plan for the maintenance, storage and destruction of your patient records.
This webinar will provide a general familiarization with the growing requirements for a well-run practice from the solo practitioner to the large institution and allow those responsible to identify areas where greater training and practice is needed.
In this webinar healthcare attorney, Richelle Marting will walk you through exactly how to protect yourself against violation penalties regarding the retention and destruction of your patient records. By completing this training, you'll walk away with clear actionable tools to protect yourself from violations for storing and destroying your healthcare records.
Who will Benefit
- The Medical Record - What is it? - it is a lot more than the clinical chart
- What's included
- The hard copy record
- The electronic record
- The marriage of hard copy and e-records
- Record Retention - the Basics
- Legal requirements
- Professional guidance
- Special circumstances: minority, incapacity, litigation
- Maintaining Record Privacy
- Omnibus Rule
- The Exposure Potential
- Practice Changes - What is needed
- Selling and closing the practice
- Record Destruction
- How to destroy
- What to destroy
- Malpractice considerations
This live webinar is designed for Physicians, Practice Managers, healthcare consultants, medical records directors, health information directors, coders, business managers, office managers, nurses, hospital administrators, billing managers, release of records professionals, compliance managers and attorneys.