Objectives of the Presentation
Given the substantial awards and settlements in recent Stark Law enforcement actions, Stark Law compliance has become more than just a compliance issue: It is an enterprise risk management issue. As medical groups, hospitals, and health systems pursue integration strategies and transition to more innovative hospital-physician arrangements, these organizations must manage their compliance and enterprise risk by ensuring their compensation arrangements are defensible under the Stark Law.
Why Should you Attend
Healthcare reform has invigorated the government's focus on healthcare fraud, including enforcement of the Stark Law. Improper design and implementation of physician arrangements can result in penalties, denial of payments, and exclusion from federal health care programs. Thus, ensuring Stark Law compliance will be critical for medical groups, hospitals and health systems looking to manage areas of enterprise risk.
Health care organizations should periodically audit their existing arrangements to ensure they are compliant with Stark's technical requirements and key tenets of defensibility (e.g., fair market value, commercial reasonableness, and not taking into account designated health service referrals, etc.) in case their physician compensation arrangements are ever challenged.
This webinar will offer best practices for implementing and auditing physician compensation arrangements to minimize liability exposure and penalties, including conducting compliance audits, instituting policies, and establishing ongoing monitoring and reviews.
Who can Benefit
- General Stark Law overview
- Requirements for compliance with key regulatory exceptions and safe harbors
- Summarize the upcoming changes to the Stark Law for 2016
- Recent enforcement trends, self-disclosure and other hot topics
- The audit process and how to resolve issues that may arise during the audit process
- California employers
- Human resources staff and executives
- Payroll staff and executives
- General counsel
- In-House Counsel
- Health Care Compliance Officers
- Health Care Human Resources
- Health Care CFOs
- Health Care Executives
- Quality Auditors