Objectives of the Presentation
Why Should you Attend
- The importance of understanding the requirements for completing I-9 Forms
- The importance of the timeliness of completing I-9 forms
- Determining best practices for Electronic Recordkeeping of I-9 Forms
- Developing a follow-up mechanism for temporary work authorizations
- The differences between E-Verify and I-9 record keeping requirements
- Fines and penalties for non compliance
- Conducting an I-9 Audit
In the 2017 Fiscal Year ending 9/30/2017, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) conducted 1,360 I-9 audits during the entire year. In the 2018 Fiscal Year starting 10/1/2017, ICE has already conduced 2,282 through May 4, 2018. On July 24, 2018, ICE sent 5,200 notices to businesses throughout the country informing them that the ICE men and women are coming to inspect their hiring practices.
In addition to increasing the number of inspection, ICE has also increased the fines for incorrect I-9 forms to $224 to $2,236 per incorrect I-9 form. The amount of the fine depends upon the percentage of incorrect I-9 forms.
Recent I-9 Penalties issues by ICE:
- Buffalo Transportation Company - $109,000 for not completing Section 2
- Asplundh - $95 Million
- Panda Express - $600,000
- Florida Pizza Delivery Company, Pizzerias, LLC - $140,000
Don't let your company become a statistic.
Who will Benefit
- Using the correct form
- Penalties for not completing I-9's Correctly or in a Timely Manner
- Determining if you want to use the "Smart" electronic I-9 or continue using paper and pen
- Completing I-9's for Remote Employees
- Understanding I-9 Retention Requirements
- Conducting an Internal Audit
- Attaining Peace of Mind
- Next Steps
- Employees responsible for completing the new employee sign-up, orientation and on-boarding
- Human Resources Professionals
- Employees required to sign up or the onboarding of new employees
- Payroll administrators
- Individuals responsible for maintaining personnel files
ALL employers throughout the USA must complete I-9 forms for ALL employees hired after November or 1986.