Are Electronic Cigarettes a Public Health Threat or Benefit?
Duration: 60 Minutes
In June 2009, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act) became law, and amended the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act to give the Agency authority to regulate the manufacture, labeling, distribution, and marketing of tobacco products in the United States. Specifically, although a “tobacco product” is defined broadly, in pertinent part, as “any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption,” the law only provides FDA with authority to regulate, through the its new Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. However, any “other tobacco products,” such as electronic cigarettes and their components may become subject to regulation if FDA “deems” such products to be subject to the new law.
Why Should you Attend:
What are electronic cigarettes? What are their potential health threats and benefits? These new products have taken the tobacco industry by storm and are poised to be regulated by FDA. Learn about the types of products that are out there, the factors that FDA must consider when evaluating their public health impact, and how these products may be regulated. This webinar will focus on electronic cigarettes, providing an overview of the types products that are available (cig-a-likes vs. refillables), and examine the factors that must be considered when determining the potential threats and benefits these products pose to the public health. An overview of the potential FDA regulatory premarket application requirements that will apply to electronic cigarettes will also be provided.
This webinar will focus on the electronic cigarette industry. Upon completion of this session, attendees will learn key factors necessary to assess the potential health threats and benefits of e-cigarettes, including the types of products that are available (cig-a-likes vs. refillables), market factors, regulatory issues, and FDA’s “public health” standard for tobacco products.
Objectives of the Presentation:
Who can Benefit:
- What is an Electronic Cigarette?
- Growing Market
- How Might FDA Regulate Electronic Cigarettes?
- Are Electronic Cigarettes an Emerging Health Threat or Benefit?
- Public Health Standard
- Assessing the Threats/Benefits - Factors
- General Counsel and Management of tobacco companies, e-Cigarette Companies, etc.
- Regulatory Compliance Associates and Managers
- Medical professionals, public health and consumer advocates, and other individuals working in the smoking control/harm reduction area
- Regulatory affairs professionals and scientists who work in this area
- Manufacturers and importers of e-cigarettes and other novel tobacco products
- Suppliers to Tobacco Industry